Friday, December 7, 2012

My Thoughts on Drawing


            Drawing has been a hobby of mine for as long as I can remember. Drawing used to be my favorite thing to do to pass time while growing up. I used to draw cars and cartoon characters while in elementary. I was always competitive with my friends with my drawings. I drew just about everyday and I became pretty good at it, so I decided to take an art class as an elective in high school. That was the first time I had any instruction on how to do things like shading. It was also my first time to have my drawings critiqued, and my first time having the graded.

            I also got involved in sports in high school, and that in turn made my drawing assignments feel like a chore rather than the fun it used to be.  I mean, I enjoyed it but I didn’t have the time to do it when I felt like it.  That’s when I got away from what I liked so much about drawing. Even though I wasn’t drawing a lot, I still would do a little something here and there.  Also, the fact that I don’t have as much time to actually draw a piece, I have become more drawn to art as a whole from graffiti to paintings to sculptures and all I between.

I decided to take drawing here at duke to rekindle the passion I once had for it, but due to the season I found myself rushing a lot. The main thing that I had to get adjusted to was drawing on such a big surface. I was used to drawing in my notebook and this class changed that. The assignments were interesting, but I wish I had more time or wasn’t so tired so much. Drawing is one of the most fun things that I do, but it can also become frustrating.  I enjoy the feeling of completing a complicated piece. But I really enjoy it more when I can just draw when I get the time to relax.




heres a link to some great work
www.samspratt.com

No comments:

Post a Comment