Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Thoughts on Drawing: My Escape

            Whether by painting on a canvas or by doodling on a worksheet in class, art is an escape from my world. Being a pre-med student at Duke University is hard.  Being from a family of doctors makes the expectations of being a pre-med student even higher. For the first time, however, I am taking a class that has nothing to do with my major, my pre-med requirements, or what is “recommended”. I decided to take this class for myself. Throughout high school, I felt pressured into taking all the classes that would make me seem to be the most “well-rounded” student. I took as many AP classes as I could, played sports, and was involved in many clubs. Art was simply not a part of my life—but I loved it anyway.
I realized my interest art too late and promised myself to expand my artistic skills in college. Freshman year passed in a blur, and before I even knew it I had consumed myself once again in pre-med classes. Its funny how quickly college flies by. Before I know it I’ll be wearing a cap and gown, sitting in Wallace Wade stadium, listening to the commencement address. I refuse to lose myself in the medical tract and because of that I decided to take Drawing 101 this semester.
In gathering my portfolio for this class, I realize amazingly how much my skills have improved. I can’t believe how far I have come since August.  Looking at my last few drawings, I am really impressed with my shading and the contrast of dark and light. Compared to many people in the class, my drawings were nowhere near as advanced, but I am still very proud of myself and will definitely continue to practice my skills. I have learned a lot about drawing techniques, especially how to use a tool as simple as an eraser to change the whole scheme of a sketch!
Although this class took up a lot of my time, I enjoyed doing the drawing assignments to de-stress. It was a great way to relax after a hard chemistry exam or a Spanish presentation. I could simply plug in my headphones and draw for hours without realizing how much time has passed. In that way, I could forget about my worries, and just focus on the piece of paper in front of me and the pencil in my hand. Art has always been and always will be the greatest escape, and thanks to this class my skills and confidence in drawing have grown significantly.

No comments:

Post a Comment