Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Thoughts on Drawing

       I started to get into drawing when I was around 12 years old. I didn't have much experience at the time and only did drawing because I took art classes throughout middle and high school. My drawing started to develop when I got into high school and had time to do more sketches in my free time. My drawing style then was very concise and I would spend more than a few weeks on a drawing. I had some pretty decent sketches but I spent most of my time doing paintings so I never really developed my drawing style. I really enjoyed taking this class because it forced my to draw every week and even if some of my drawings weren't as great as I thought they would be, from this class, I slowly learned how to create a good drawing during short period of time. It forced me to become more expressive in my and learn how to make various marks with a pencil that would say a lot in the drawing with very minimal effort and I even looked up some techniques of artists who know how to create a picture that told a lot with very minimal drawing marks. In my opinion, becoming a great artist requires patience and diligence by spending hours upon hours making art and learning from others how to make your art better each time. From this class, I learned from other artists and my peers how to better portray a narrative in my work My favorite aspect of the course was having a sketchbook and going to Duke gardens every week to sit down and sketch for an hour or two and forget about everything else that was happening in my life. Art is my form of zen where I forget about everything else and focus on the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment