Monday, December 1, 2014

Thoughts on Drawing


Drawing at Duke has been an interesting experience to say the least. I signed up for the class because as a Cultural Anthropology Major and Information Science and Studies Major I hadn’t taken a class like this since middle school. I remember truly enjoying it an being excited about drawing in my sketchbook. As I am looking towards a career I thought that it would be a great idea to take a drawing class since graphic/web design is a serious contender.

The class was actually a lot different than I thought it would be. I was expecting more of a lecture style similar to what I had in middle school. It was somewhat of a guided approach to drawing and art. I have to admit that the first day of drawing when we sat down in front of the objects and had to draw them was a nice hit of reality that I needed. Drawing was going to be a challenge. I appreciate being thrown into the situation rather than guided because it showed me what my weaknesses were. Had I been guided I would have essentially been blindly following directions, however being thrown into the situation showed me how I see the world in terms of special arrangements, shapes, negative space, colors etc. I have to admit I am embarrassingly oblivious.

I think that this was a lesson that I really needed to learn on my own and it will help me later on in life if I go into a career of web/graphic design etc. Similar to my peer Sujata Professor Fick often told me that my brain was overpowering what I really see.  At first I took it as a euphemistic way of telling me that I was terrible at drawing, but as time went on I realized what he truly meant.  This class taught me that I scan the world rather than really look at it. My brain makes up information for all of the information that I didn’t bother to focus on and that’s something that I would love to change about myself, because I don’t know how much I’ve been missing out on.

This class has been a fantastic learning experience artistically and personally. It’s taught me even more respect for the arts and people who are capable of translating the world into art and making it meaningful. I think that I would love to continue practicing drawing but without the pressure of receiving a grade. I think that it really takes time, effort and determination from inside to draw  and draw well and I’m glad that this course was an introduction into this life lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment