Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Thoughts on Drawing


As an art history major at Duke, I have always appreciated art and especially drawing as the foundation of any good piece.  After taking this course, I have developed an even stronger appreciation for drawing, and the patience and practice it takes to develop such skills.  I think that I will now approach any work of art with a new perspective.  I enjoyed the first blog post because it was an opportunity for me to really learn about an artist whose work I am attracted to, and see how drawing is the fundamentals for any good work of art.

In high school I took several art classes, but my college experience has been more devoted to studying art then practicing it. This class has been a really great opportunity for me to re-immerse myself in the practice of art, and has been conducive to my growth as an artist.  Each assignment taught me something new, and each time I was encouraged to experiment with new techniques – both successfully and sometimes unsuccessfully.

What I enjoyed most about this course was the class time in which we discussed everyone’s work.  Hearing both Professor Fick and my fellow classmates’ critiques helped me improve my own work, and also seeing other people’s drawings gave me ideas for techniques that I want to explore in the future. For instance, I initially struggled with shading, but after seeing how others were able to use pencil or charcoal and blend it, I think my shading skills improved dramatically. 

I think that my strength as an artist is in drawing very delineated forms and objects such as the brickwork on Duke’s buildings.  I struggle with more organic forms, such as trees and leaves. It was really helpful to be able to see how my classmates approached drawing such subjects, and it gave me ideas for how to improve upon my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment