Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Thoughts on Drawing

I have always been involved in art ever since my parents signed me up for art classes when I was in elementary school. I had begged them for months to sign me up because I knew my older sister took art classes, and I had always looked up to her when I was younger.

From there, I took weekend art classes for many years until I reached middle school when I was able to sign up for art classes in school as well. I continued my passion throughout middle school and high school, even taking AP Visual Arts as a senior and creating a portfolio.

When I came to Duke as a first semester freshmen I was very busy adjusting to college life. I realized towards the end of the semester that I was disappointed in myself for not continuing my passion in art. I had gotten busy with school, extracurriculars, and family life, and had not continued to purse one of my passions that was most important to me.

This is one of the reasons why I decided to take this Drawing course this semester. I wanted to have something that would make me focus on art at least a couple times a week. Despite art being a passion of mine, sometimes it is very hard to find time for it in the midst of everything else that's going on. This class definitely helped remind me about the things that were important to me, the things that made me who I was.

I also took a seminar class this semester on modern art celebrities that also peaked my interest. Now, I am once again encouraged to pursue the things I'm passionate about. I am definitely considering a minor in either Visual Arts, VMS, or Art History. I also have realized that I'm interested in a career in marketing, something that combines both my interests of business and creativity. While searching for internships I also created a portfolio of artwork from my past as well as some from this class. (Link: http://www.sonyazhang.portfoliobox.me/portfolio)

I definitely want to take more art classes and more art history classes at Duke. I realize that I have the time and passion to do these things, I just have to remind myself of how important they are to me and who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment