Sunday, December 4, 2016

My Thoughts on Drawing - Tani O'Neill


I have been trying to take this class for several semesters. And now that I have taken it, I have to say I didn’t enjoy it as much as I thought I would. That is not to say that I haven’t enjoyed it or regret taking the course, but I found that I did not like the time schedule. I have always enjoyed drawing but it has always been as a release and when I wanted to draw. Turning it into assignments changed how I felt about sitting down and drawing something.

That being said, this course has taught me many things. It has taught me to really look at the world around me. This class forced me to closely examine and absorb my surroundings, look for negative space and interesting arrangements. It is so easy to quickly glance around to get from place to place, especially at Duke where everyone is busy all the time. But this class forces you to stop and see the campus in a way people often miss or forget about after spending four years here.

I’ve also never worked with such large paper before. This made me appreciate how much detail can go into every square inch and how complex things can be. That being said, I’ve also learned to summarize and pretend to incorporate all the details by just adding some texture or value.

Overall, this was a great experience. I learned the basics of drawing and learned how to use all of them in combination to create a more complex drawing. I also got to see the progress of my classmates, which was in a way more exciting than my own work.

No comments:

Post a Comment