Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Thoughts on Drawing - Eric Jiang

As a computer science major, I find the overlap between computer vision and drawing fascinating. I've learned that drawing is not just a physical process but also a mental process, which is perhaps more vital. In order to achieve believability in a drawing, the drawing must also elicit immediate recognition. That is to say that it must contain enough clues and information that our brain can immediately recognize the represented object. These clues include value changes, texture, shapes, and patterns.

Similarly, computer algorithms that interpret images look for "features" in order to generate a certainty or confidence in the identification of a subject. These features can include patterns, edges, and points. If anything, taking a computer vision class before this drawing class allowed me to approach drawing with

On a less technical note, I've learned the incredibly meditative nature of drawing. It's forced me to observe the interplay of light on various surfaces, topologies, materials, and volumes. I was surprised by how easy it is to express myself through drawing. Subtle manipulations of light, shade, and texture allow me to express vastly different atmospheres and moods.

No comments:

Post a Comment