Sunday, December 3, 2017

Thoughts on Drawing

I believe drawing is the single more important skill for any visual artist to acquire, whether they are a painter, illustrator, graphic designer, or fashion designer. It is simply the act of "seeing" made visual. When one learns how to draw, what there are really learning is the ability to see more clearly and communicate what they see or can imagine. Essentially, drawing is a tool for study before it is a tool for making art.

I honestly believe that everyone can draw - some people might just be better than others. I am happy that I took this class because not only did I get to practice my drawing skills and enhance my abilities, but I was able to learn from my peers. Drawing in class forced me to draw things out of my element and in ways I had never tried before. I've practiced drawing from observation and I usually draw from photos; however, I had never drawn an empirical view or played with positive/negative space.  I had always believed that drawing was relaxing, but when taken out of the classroom setting - to draw things on bigger paper than I was used to - it became something that frustrated me.

In the end, this class taught me that drawing/doodling is a necessary skill to have. Drawing is a tool that is stress-free and constantly changing. It is a skill that will help you, not hurt you. I will continue to use the tools and techniques I've learned in class for my other work in or out of a classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment